Matthew J. Kading
2233 East Cambridge Avenue
Phoenix, Arizona 85006
Matt began his career as a commercial and intellectual property litigator in 1998 for the national law firm of Quarles & Brady LLP in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Chicago, Illinois. At Quarles, Matthew was fortunate and determined to make a name for himself, and garnered valuable trial experience during his first year as an associate. Having proven his capacity and passion for litigation, Matt worked on a number of high-profile cases involving medical device manufacturers, electric utility companies, and other Fortune 500 or Forbes 100 companies.
He later joined the Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota based national firm of Briggs & Morgan P.A. — where he was a key component of the firm’s prestigious and nationally recognized Telecommunications Law Group and continued his intellectual property and commercial/business litigation practice as a member of the firms business litigation group.
At Briggs, Matthew gained extensive courtroom experience in state and federal courts around the country. His zealous focus on vigorously representing clients to the fullest extent possible within the bounds of ethics and the law resulted in success for Matthew’ clients, and the large firms that recruited and nurtured his development These firms helped him become a formidable opponent to even the most seasoned courtroom tacticians.
His drive to make certain his clients receive the finest legal counsel and obtain outcomes beyond their expectations fostered further success as shown by the accolades and awards from local and national legal publications and groups naming Matt a leading litigator under 40 (“Top 40 Lawyers Under 40″)” and as a “Young Lawyer to Watch.” Matt was named in “Who’s Who in American Law” five separate times and a local magazine named him a “Rising Star” in the Twin Cities legal community.
After several years with Briggs and Morgan, Matthew joined Skolnick & Schiff P.A., a prestigious Minneapolis-based business litigation boutique firm as an equity partner and head of the firm’s intellectual property law practice. During his time, he worked and partnered with one of the nation’s foremost commercial and business litigators and trial lawyers. In 2008, Matthew left the practice of law to pursue another dream and attended Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine.
In November of 2010, armed with the experience and expertise gained through practicing with some the best and brightest legal minds and the knowledge gained studying medicine, Matthew was picked to run the Medical Law Group and serve as Chief Legal Officer of Axon JuriMed Group, LLC, a nationally recognized medical/pharmaceutical and medical device law trial consulting firm based out of San Francisco, California and Chicago, Illinois. In late-2012, a private investment group acquired Axon JuriMed, giving Matt the opportunity to return to his true calling as an exceptional litigator and trial lawyer. He has vigorously and successfully represented clients in all phases of litigation and alternative dispute resolution, including negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and state and federal jury trials.
Matt’s case preparation starts with the client’s objectives and involves developing and implementing a solid strategy to defend or enforce the client’s commercial, business, or intellectual property rights or client’s defense against claims and suits brought against them that could be significantly harmful to their interests–economic, professional or otherwise. Though Matt craves the litigation experince, he also understands the risks involved with a trial, especially in high-profile cases. His number one priority is and has been to protect the valuable legal interests of his clients.
Summary of Qualifications
• Results-driven attorney with exceptional proactive problem solving abilities, adaptability and creation of innovative solutions to complex problems. Ability to promote success independently and/or applying a team-oriented approach.
• Litigator with an established track record of success who is confident in the court room and leverages excellent argumentation techniques to ensure favorable outcomes for clients. Innovative and highly effective at developing creative case strategies and writing persuasive briefs.
• Skilled in innovative problem solving and finding unique theories, ideas and solutions to create effective arguments. Works aggressively to achieve continued success. High degree of self- sufficiency, independent judgment and savvy. Well-versed in trial preparation, research and drafting legal documents. Tackle matters with tenacity and an analytical mindset.
• Significant first- and second-chair trial experience and established ability to manage several complex matters simultaneously in state and federal courts.
• Over 120 cases as acting as the principal and responsible attorney assigned to matters for all types of clients-from small businesses to Fortune 500 corporations. Well-honed negotiation, oral advocacy, writing, and discovery practice skills in diverse areas of medical law/product liability, commercial/business and regulatory-based litigation. Recently served as corporate general counsel for an Internet marketing and IT company, mastering a steep learning curve quickly.
• Significant experience in intellectual property creation, management and infringement litigation, regulatory and compliance matters , including pharmaceutical and medical device (FDA), telecommunications, banking, antitrust, data privacy, and other regulated industries. (including proceedings before state and federal agencies and commissions).
• Excellent organizational and time management skills with a professional and involved attitude. Self-motivated and continually meet set deadlines, prioritize, multi-task and maintain flexibility.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills including conveyance of legal principles to managers and officers/executives and the implications of certain business practices and procedures, exceptional legal writing abilities, and skilled in oral advocacy techniques.
• Ability to handle sensitive situations tactfully yet firmly, to be assertive without being adversarial, and to take unpopular positions when necessary while maintaining trust and credibility. Always meet objectives, exceed company’s, client’s and partner’s expectations and apply sound legal judgment in high-demand, fast-paced work environments.
State and Federal Bar Admissions
- Minnesota; Wisconsin; Arizona (Corporate Counsel Registration Only/Full Admission Expected July 2013); United States District Courts for the Districts of Minnesota, Northern Illinois, and the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin, District of Arizona (pro hac vice), Northern (pro hac vice) and Southern Districts of California (pro hac vice), Southern District of New York (pro hac vice); United States Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Seventh, Eighth and Ninth Circuits; United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; United States Supreme Court.
Axon JuriMed Group LLC, Chicago, Illinois/San Francisco, California
Vice-President/Chief Legal Officer & Director of Medical Law and Litigation, November 2010-Present
Develop risk analysis and provide strategic advice to law firms and litigators involved in a wide array of matters involving all aspects of medical practice and research, pharmaceutical R&D, clinical trials and litigation, medical device law and litigation, among others. Developed and invented mapped algorithms/computer database network architecture to gather the most relevant and useful information for each particular client, coupled with personal knowledge and experience in medicine, human physiology, biochemistry, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical device and pharmaceutical litigation, commercial/business litigation, product liability litigation and regulatory practice. Assist in managing Company-related litigation, including the retention of outside counsel and frequently perform hands-on litigation duties alongside outside counsel. Additionally, I review advertising materials for legal compliance. Research and database broad-spectrum law surrounding medicine, including medical device, pharmaceutical and regulatory (FDA), malpractice, mass drug tort, medical ethics, and product liability law and determining client’s best course of action regarding potential and ongoing litigation. Responsible for hiring, training and developing consultants and expert witnesses with significant experience in both law/litigation and medical practice, primarily attorneys that also have significant clinical experience as physicians, physician’s assistants, and nurse practitioners. Develop pre-trial and trial strategy when indicated.
Skolnick & Associates, P.A., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Senior Trial Attorney/Chair, IP Litigation/Equity Partner, August 2003–March 2006, May 2007-January 2008
I individually managed and carried primary responsibility for a significant caseload in a variety of business litigation cases in both state and federal courts. Core practice areas involved business torts, trade secrets, patent, trademark, Internet, and broad-spectrum business litigation. I appeared on behalf of clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to closely held corporations. I obtained first and second chair trial experience and engaged in pre- and post-trial motion practice and other trial practice matters. I handled all motions, accompanying briefs, memoranda of law and all court appearances. I conducted and managed complex discovery matters and frequently deposed and defended lay and expert witnesses. I represented clients in mediation and arbitration proceedings and negotiated settlements.
- Successfully tried several commercial/business and IP matters involving issues such as: product liability, breach of contract, trade secrets/unfair competition, copyright (software source code) infringement, willful patent infringement; negligence/loss of income, trademark and domain name infringement and cybersquatting to completion (both jury and bench trials).
- Won substantial judgment in bench trial regarding loss of business income/business negligence; prepared a multi-hundred page findings of fact conclusions of law, and order for judgment adopted nearly verbatim by judge in his Opinion and Order for Judgment.
- Won vital motions, including summary judgment in land use matter and opposition to motion notwithstanding verdict in trade secret matter after successful jury trial.
Briggs and Morgan, P.A., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Associate Attorney/Shareholder, February 2000–August 2003
Prepared pleadings, motions, briefs, and memoranda of law; conducted and managed discovery; took and defended depositions in business, employment, real estate/land use and intellectual property litigation including: contractual disputes, patent infringement, trade secrets, unfair competition, trademark, trade dress, domain name disputes, medical device and biological patent litigation among others, generally for Fortune 500 clients. I negotiated settlements and prepared settlement agreements and releases and represented clients in ADR. I was a member of firm’s Commercial Litigation and Telecommunications Law Practice Groups. Structured, drafted and negotiated complex commercial agreements for the deployment of major computer software, hardware, broadband, telecommunications and other varied service programs for some of the largest retailers, competitive local exchange carriers, Internet, wireless/mobile/cable providers, and technology companies in the nation.
- Prevailed in several cases on summary judgment, including writ of mandamus on 16.7 million-dollar industrial land use matter against large government entity.
- Firm reviews of all work performed and numerous assigning partner’s evaluations of work performed never rated below “excellent” with most partner’s rating my work product and assigned cases as “performs above and beyond expectations.”
- Became fast-tracked shareholder (partner) after developing several new clients with varied legal needs (corporate, securities, litigation), including new business from the largest privately-help company in the World.
Quarles & Brady, LLP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Associate Attorney, September 1998–February 2000
Negotiated, drafted and implemented software and Internet licensing contracts. Assigned primary responsibility for legal research and writing; including: preparation of memoranda, summary judgment and other motion papers, complaints, answers, discovery requests and responses, and client correspondence for large, multinational Fortune 500 clients as member of commercial litigation and intellectual property groups. Managed discovery, including antitrust matter where number of documents produced during discovery exceeded 1.5 million. I independently conducted and defended depositions, in the U.S. and internationally. Handled direct and cross-examination of witnesses during trial. Litigation practice areas included: business torts, breach of contract, UCC, software licensing, patent and trademark infringement; antitrust bid-rigging; contractual breach, product liability; and Internet liability assessment; Internet use litigation; domain name trademark litigation; etc. for large clients such as Miller Brewing, Kraft Foods, Manitowoc Cranes, Wisconsin Electric Power Company, Harley Davidson, Johnson Controls, etc.
- Conducted vital depositions of expert witnesses in a $20M breach of contract/loss of income commercial case.
- Traveled to various foreign countries including Philippines, Uzbekistan, Great Britain, Germany, Taiwan and Japan for discovery matters, mainly deposing foreign nationals.
- Researched, prepared, argued and prevailed on motion for summary judgment in trade secrets matter.
Northwestern University-Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois
Doctor of Medicine Candidate, 2009-2011
- Coursework Included: Fundamentals of Cellular Function, Introduction to the Human Body, Endocrinology, Gastrointestinal System, Reproductive System, Cardiovascular System, Renal System, Respiratory System, Musculoskeletal/Head and Neck, Neuroscience, Genetics, Immunology, Pathophysiology, Hematology, Oncology, Microbiology, Emergency Medicine, Trauma Medicine/Surgery
University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, 1998; 13.93/16.00 (≈3.56/4.00) top quartile (Law School Does NOT release exact percentile or class rank)
- Top Tier Law School (vault.com 14h; U.S. News 15th, Law School 100, 18th), 3,600 applications were received for the Fall 2009 incoming class, which consisted of 215 seats.
- Dean’s List all semesters. Order of the Coif, Maynard Pirsig Moot Court: Best Oral Argument (Finals) and Best Brief.
- Coursework Included:
- 2L/3L Electives: Tax I, Partnership Taxation, Copyright Law, Antitrust, MBA Concepts for Lawyers, Creditors Remedies/Secured Transactions, Commercial Paper, Health Law, Patents, Winning Patent Litigation , Complex Litigation, Trial Practice, Evidence, Sex Discrimination Seminar, Advanced Trial Practice, Wills and Trusts, Intellectual Property, Environmental Law, Minnesota Law Review.
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Bachelor of Arts, Sociology of Law, phi beta kappa, summa cum laude, 1994, Bachelor of Science, Biochemistry, summa cum laude, 1995
- Phi Beta Kappa, Sociology Honors Society, Biochemistry Honors Society, Academic All-American (Ice Hockey)
Karl Franzens Universität/Salzburger Juristiche Fakultät, Graz/Salzburg, Austria
Major: Law, September 1993-May 1994
- Played professional ice hockey for Eishockey Club Göesser Graz